Design and Technology
Design and Technology Intent
At Meath school our Design and Technology curriculum aims to inspire with an engaging and practical approach to the subject. Through creativity and imagination, pupils are encouraged to talk about design and learn to make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
The curriculum focuses on supporting the children as they develop and grow a broad range of technical skills as well as subject knowledge, drawing on subject knowledge from mathematics, science, computing, history and art. Pupils learn how to take risks and try things out and it is through this experimentation we aim to foster resilient, resourceful, and innovative young citizens. Also, through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, the pupils develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world today.
Aims for our pupils at Meath School:
- to stimulate the children’s curiosity, imagination and creativity
- to develop an understanding of technology through active learning
- to build and apply a range of practical skills, needed to design and make their own prototypes
- to involve the children in purposeful designing of products
- to help the children understand how to evaluate and adapt their designs
- to share their ideas, experiences and imagination through collaborative work
- to enable children to appreciate the importance of technology in society, historically and in the present day
- to raise awareness of the effects of technology on the environment
- to be able to cook and understand the basic principles of a healthy, nutritious diet
- to promote an awareness of Health and Safety issues.