Physical Education Intent
At Meath School PE is an important part of school life and ultimately growing our pupil’s future well-being. We aim to develop all pupil’s understanding of the importance of learning and talking about a healthy lifestyle and enjoy participating in a range of physical activities. Pupils will develop an understanding of how to take care of themselves both physically and mentally in order to lead healthy lives as young people and adults.
It is therefore our intent to provide an inclusive, broad, and balanced PE curriculum that ensures ALL pupils will benefit, through enhancing existing skills, learning new skills, and being introduced to new sporting activities. We believe that participation in sporting activity is a key element of developing linked skills such as attention, learning rules for various games, confidence, enjoyment, communication, co-operation, and team work.
Throughout our PE Curriculum we aim to inspire pupils to talk, about how their bodies and minds feel after exercise, describe and explain coaching tips for self and peers. Pupils will learn how to take part in a wide range of physical activities and grow in confidence and skill in a wide range of sports and physical activities.
Aims for our pupils at Meath :
- to develop the knowledge, skills and capabilities necessary for improved lifelong mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing
- to develop physical and mental health and enjoyment as part of a healthy active lifestyle.
- to receive at least 2 hours of high-quality PE per week
- to experience and develop skills in a wide range of physical activities through daily structured active play
- to develop engagement, participation, and active rate in physical activities for a growing period
- to participate in a wide range of competitive sports, dance, gymnastics, new physical activities and games including swimming and outdoor and adventurous activities.